In the digital age, businesses must evolve to meet customer needs and remain competitive.
And that’s why most organizations leverage cloud-based data centers. But, cloud migration challenges are a real problem, despite cloud technology bringing new business opportunities.
Not all companies understand the complexities of cloud migration or know how best to proceed. Some have concerns with organizational changes, security, multiple vendors, and system integrations.
There are many potential barriers when you migrate to the cloud; however, mitigating cloud migration challenges is easy with the help of a managed services provider (MSP).
Let’s explore some common cloud migration challenges.
Common Cloud Migration Challenge: Organizational Change Is Inevitable
The IDC reported that cloud infrastructure spending reached $73.9 billion in Q4 2021, up by 8.8% from 2020. It seems the cloud is where everyone’s going.
However, cloud migration is a major endeavor that affects your entire business. It requires an organizational change to succeed.
A successful cloud migration depends on four key factors:
- A shared vision. The goal is to create a compelling vision and enlist everyone in the organization to work toward it. Vision is where transformation begins. It guides assimilation and commitment. Without this step, you can’t move forward with your plans.
- The right cloud migration strategy. Typically, IT departments drive cloud migration’s success. However, they must work with other departments to identify needs and design solutions. That takes up much of their time. Enter MSPs. They explore and understand your every department’s needs to create adequate strategies.
- The right resources. Cloud migration is a complex process. It requires a team with experience and expertise in migration planning. MSPs are in the business to help companies adapt to the digital age. They have the specialists and cutting-edge technology to realize your migration as you focus on your core business functions.
- Enabling behavior. To sustain change, you need to modify your organization’s infrastructure. That includes revising job descriptions, performance plans, and assessment systems. Your team needs assistance, training, and coaching to go along the change curve accordingly. MSPs help by transferring knowledge to your team.
Ready to Talk About Getting Your Cloud Migration Started?
Data Security Is a Major Concern
The security of your data is a big concern when migrating to the cloud, especially on the public cloud. That’s because you don’t have control over cloud platforms or host environments.
Security is an issue for all organizations, be it private or public, big or small.,
Without proper network security or data backup and recovery, you risk losing data when you migrate to the cloud. You risk exposing stakeholders’ personal information or your business requirements and documents.
You must trust the cloud service provider to safeguard your data and protect it from cyber threats. Search for a service provider and launch your cloud migration project with this in mind.
To find an MSP with strong security protocols and adequate certifications, choose one with the following benefits:
- The right protocols. The best providers ensure your cloud security’s integrity. They use encryption, unique identifiers, and two-factor authentication to protect data.
- The right certification. You also want providers with certifications, such as ISO 9001 or SOC 2. These show they follow strict security standards and have the experience to protect your data.
Vendor Management Is a Bigger Challenge
Coordinating the cloud migration process can be difficult if your organization works with multiple vendors. You may find it challenging to agree on a single path to the cloud.
Once you’ve decided on a cloud provider, you need to do the following:
- Coordinate with all other vendors to find out how and when their data will be moved to the cloud;
- Decide how you’ll manage the multiple contracts and vendors;
- Find a single vendor to handle the management of multiple cloud providers.
- Ensure correct data migration
You could be facing a logistical nightmare, especially if you have to change providers or coordinate the migration of multiple systems.
MSPs help with these tasks. They ensure seamless systems integration and that everyone is on the same page. That’s from top management to staff and even your multiple vendors.
Want to Learn More About How MSPs Can Help Your Business Succeed? Check Out These Other Useful Articles!
Synchronizing Infrastructure Can Be Challenging in Cloud Migration
Cloud migration doesn’t happen instantly.
It takes time to move data and implement new systems. You also need to account for any maintenance periods when doing so. That’s why it’s important to understand how the cloud environment would affect your existing systems.
You want to make sure existing systems continue functioning while implementing new systems. MSPs guarantee you this by coordinating the timing of the work to minimize any interruptions with your workflow.
They also ensure your cloud infrastructure works correctly with your existing infrastructure, doing modifications and adjustments where needed.
The Bottom Line: Be Prepared for Cloud Migration Challenges
No two cloud migrations are ever exactly the same.
Every organization is different, and every environment has its challenges. But everyone who wants to migrate and leverage cloud computing must prepare for the road ahead.
Start by understanding your current environment and determining which cloud services are best for you. Once you’ve identified the best options, create a detailed migration plan.
If migrating to the cloud is part of your digital transformation, you need to start your cloud migration planning. It may seem daunting, but with experts like KDIT having your back, mitigating cloud migration challenges will be a breeze.
Call KDIT now for a seamless and worry-free cloud migration process.